Monday, September 13, 2010

The Actor on Acting

I was out with my friends, Mike and Nate, this evening, and we got into a discussion about movies. Me, being the movie buff that I am, felt right at home in this particular discussion. Nate, not being as informed about who's a good actor and whatnot, throws out a few suggestions of individuals he enjoys watching.

I, of course, rebut him vigorously and stick my nose up at some of his decisions. Mike goes on, in typical Mike fashion, to call me a stuck-up artsy type. We laugh and he explains that Nate is the same way about music and reacts in a similar fashion if certain artists/bands are mentioned.

But that's a good point, isn't it? I mean, Nate is a musician and I'm an actor, so it makes sense that we have a slightly better insight and pickier tastes in our chosen mediums, doesn't it?

For instance, I (and I'm uncertain if this applies to all actors or just me), personally, watch a film and try to get a feel for the actors' interpretations of their characters. I ask myself questions like "What motivation does this character have?" "What conflicts does he/she face?" "Why did the actor make that particular decision when portraying this character?" and so on.

Not being a musician (no matter what I may tell people heh), I wouldn't even begin to imagine what one would think to themselves while listening to a song or piece. The furthest and deepest my thoughts venture when listening to a song is really "Do I enjoy this?".

I guess that spills over into practical skills as well. My training in technical theater also translates into a critical eye as far as the more technical aspects of films (and theatrical productions if I ever get the chance to go out and see one). Is the lighting appropriately done here? Does the music/sound effects further or hinder this scene? Why does the damn camera shake so badly?

Going back to the original point, when I watch an actor that I believe to be of poor quality, I find my line of internal questioning to be reduced to the lowest denominator. Say, Keanu Reeves, for example. When I watch Mr. Reeves in most movies, I don't ask myself the above questions or questions in a similar vein. No...my questions usually get reduced to "How funny would it be if he said "dude" at the end of that line?" and "Why the hell am I watching another Keanu Reeves movie?". Why does this happen? Well, Mr. Reeves doesn't suck me in with his portrayal of a character, and then I don't start questioning the character's portrayal on a serious level.

It's rather sad, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment