Sunday, October 2, 2011

Doctor Who Series 6 Finale

"The first question! The question that must never be answered! Hidden in plain sight! The question you've been running from all your life! Doctor...who? Doctor WHO? DOCTOR WHO?"

Madman with a box
And that, my dear readers, was the closing line of this series finale of Doctor Who. Recently, I've been rewatching a lot of Tennant's last season and Smith's first season and it becomes apparent whenever you encounter a Stephen Moffat episode that he's been building up to this for quite some time.

Madman with a Doctor
It seems that this storyline has always been on Moffat's mind and he's finally able to bring it ot he forefront in the Whoniverse. Personally, I believe he's gearing up for the 50th anniversary of the show in 2013 where the Doctor's name, the question that every fan has ever had, the question that the show's own title is based on will finally be answered. What could be a more fitting way to celebrate five decades of Doctor Who than to do something spectacular and give the fans.

And, honestly, I think it's a brilliant idea. And brilliantly executed. I had my suspicions that "the Question" always being referenced in the show would, in fact, pertain to the Doctor's identity. I did have my suspicions that it might be about other things, but my mind kept occasionally coming back to the Doctor's identity.

"No, no, no," I would say to myself, in a fleeting moment of insanity, "That would be TOO obvious."

I swear you've been taking your meds
But the way in which it was presented...the method the writers used to execute the revalation of the Question, I realized that it was ever the only question that could be asked. For 50 years, viewers have watched this program, fallen in love with the many incarnations of the mad Doctor, all without every knowing the "madman with a box"'s name.

As I read in another article addressing recent Doctor Who storylines, Moffat has been building up to this since he before he was head writer, writing individual episodes for Tennant seasons. Now, being the man in control of the Doctor's destiny, so-to-speak, he finally is bringing his grand scheme to the forefront.

My personal belief is that Smith will stay on at least through the 50th anniversary and the 50th anniversary will be centered around the Dotor's name and everything hinted at in this series' finale. If my assumptions are correct, the world will know "Doctor who?" at long last. And if this turns out to be the case, allow me to say what a better man has said before me:

Fantastic! Allons-y! Geronimo!

No comments:

Post a Comment