Thursday, October 14, 2010

Personal Projects: Death Ray

Well....I'm building a death ray.

For future video installments, I've decided to construct a death ray prop. I've been toying around with this idea for quite some time and I'm finally going to get started on it. Coincidentally, the item I've been eyeballing for the death ray just kicked the proverbial bucket and has now been torn apart for death ray parts.

  

This WAS the main portion of my lightning lamp (kinda like a lava lamp, but with lightning). Recently, the lamp finally died (I got the damn thing many years ago so...whaddyagonnado?), and now I'm going to use it for death ray parts. 


As you can see, I've been able to separate the main globe into its three component parts: the plastic "base", the glass globe, and the plastic tip. 

  

Upon closer inspection of the base and globe, you'll see the globe has a small opening at the bottom.


A closer look at the opening reveals a space large enough to house a small light of some sort. I'm hoping to put an LED light in there and wire it through the base into the body, stock, and trigger. At the very least, maybe a maglite lightbulb.  

 

 The bottom of the base reveals the opening and holes where the rest of the lamp was attached. I'm considering sawing this bit off to open up this end to other bits I may want to cram in there (the light, specifically), but I'll hold off until I have a light.


Finally, the tip. I'm planning on running wires into the tip and down the globe so that it'll give the whole death ray a nice "sciency" feel to it. These wires will be purely for show, but I think it could look good.

Overall, my goal is to have the entire lamp portion be the "barrel" of my death ray. I'm considering adding some attachments to the tip (maybe an antenna sticking forward from it). My OVERALL overall goal is to connect a light to the glass globe, running the wires through the base and into the gun's body and being able to activate the light via the gun's trigger.

Will keep updating!

No comments:

Post a Comment