Friday, May 18, 2012

Tabletop Character Theme Songs!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back! I know it's been MONTHS (fucking MONTHS, for fuck's sake!) since I posted but I'm back now and hopefully will be putting up new content on a slightly more consistent basis!
My punishment will be swift

All of that being said, this particular article was inspired by a late night evening with my roomie and best buddy Wes. I was keeping Wes up with talks of the various roleplaying games that we were in at the time or previously. This conversation, as per usual, led to a discussion of our favorite characters. This, in turn, led to a discussion about what the theme songs for our characters would be.

Me, being the type of gamer that I am, had already picked out theme songs for some of my favorite characters. This is a brief list of theme songs that I had chosen for my own characters or my friends characters.

Should be fun, right?

  • The Shaper - (Amber)
If any of you are long-time readers of mine (I use the term "long-time" loosely, in this case) than you may recall my mentioning of Amber and my characters from them. Specifically, my Shaper character. A quick recap of the character - the Shaper was me with the power to turn into any living thing. Specifically, my specialty was the form of the feathered serpent. The downside to this was, of course, losing myself in the animal mind and giving in to darker, more primal urges.

Therefore, the song I choose for this character is:

  • The Monster (pre-angel) - (Amber)
Going along the same Amber train of thought, I figured I'd do pre-angel Monster me. This character was Shaper me at a later time with a different power. I had acquired the terrible destructive power of the Monster, but hadn't chosen a form yet. The downside to this power was this terrible hunger inside of myself that kept gnawing at me if I didn't feed it. Humans tended to satiate it the best.

Therefore, I believe this song choice is best. Sidenote - Wes actually picked this one. I approve of his selecting abilities:

  • The Monster (post-angel) - (Amber)
Okay, okay...this is my last Amber entry until later. This is the same character as above, but I had chosen the form of a rakasha, an unbound angel. I did so so that I could use the power responsibly without compromising my morals.

This in mind, I chose this song:

  • Pak-cha - (Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 ed)
I can't recall if I've ever mentioned Pak-cha before in my blog, which is strange because he's my favorite character that I ever breathed fictional life into. Ah, well. Pak-cha was part of an evil party of evil goddess worshippers. He started out as a mindless bodyguard and, by the end of the campaign, had worked his way up to becoming his goddess's champion. He was lethal, brutal, and almost unbeatable in one-on-one melee combat. He was LITERALLY the heavy-hitter and he heavy-hitted often.

I believe this song does him the justice he deserves:

 Before I continue, I feel the need to share the theme songs for the remaining members of this campaign's party. We each actually picked our own themes and I recorded all of theme. I won't go into detail about each specific character, but I'm sure you can get a general idea of the tone from the collection.


Xeahvyn’s Theme  – Animal I Have Become (totally ripped this off from her, I admit)
Bruce’s Theme – Bat Out of Hell
Tsiona’s Theme – Devil’s Daughter
Tailoc’s Theme – Bard’s Song
Greth’s Theme – Bodies
Korn’s Theme – Headstrong
Razgriz’s Theme – Go Into the Water
Kee’ari-Uh’s Theme – Master of Puppets
Darkmane’s Theme – Castratikron
  • Wires - (Shadowrun)
Wires was another of my all-time favorite characters. He was an all-powerful technomancer (re. magic hacker) in a world almost entirely run by data and electronics. He was an essential asset to the shadowrunning (re. mercenary) team that he was a part of and could do almost anything in his niche without fail. Even the other players marveled at how ridiculously effective this character was. This all being said, he was essentially useless in the real world. However, that never stopped him from doing his job and putting his life on the line to get his part done for the team.

It actually took me a while to find this song, but I believe it's the most fitting:

  • Bones - (Shadowrun)
Now, we've finally left my own characters (egotistical asshole that I am) and have moved onto my friends' characters. Bones, Wes's character, was an orc-oni adept (re. Japanese demon orc physical-mage) in the same game that Wires from above was in. Both characters were completely different from each other. Where Wires was serious, Bones was carefree. Where Wires was physically weak, Bones was physically powerful. Where Wires was vastly intelligent, Bones was...lacking. However, Bones was the heaviest hitter of our shadowrunning team and proved it on a number of occasions.

Because of his Japanese origin, carefree and upbeat attitude, and general badassery, I chose this song for Bones (Wes approved):

  • Lei Sheng - (Shadowrun)
ONE more Shadowrun character for the list...list one, again, is from the same game as Bones and Wires. This character belonged to our friend Jim and was a Chinese combat mage that knew kungfu. I don't believe I need to say more than that.

Here's the song:

I'm sure I could think of songs for more of my own characters or characters belonging to other friends of mine, but I'm mainly sticking to ones that jumped out at me. Or ones that I'd had in my head for a while.

Okay, I'm just lazy.

However, I did come up with a few group theme songs. Here we go!
  • Shadowrunning Team Theme
This was chosen by Wes and myself for our team in the Shadowrun game. We felt it appropriate seeing how both we viewed our team/characters and our characters viewed the team as unbeatable. Up to that point in the campaign, we might as well have been. Nothing had stopped us and nothing had slowed us down.

Therefore, the clear choice was:

  • Amber Party Theme
This one is actually a funny story. Julia, my now ex, was playing in our Amber game at the time and she was an artist/animator. She had this idea that her and I would surprise the party with an animated "opening" to the Amber game, as if it were an animated show. I loved the idea and worked with her toward it. Unfortunately, her and I parted ways before the project was completed but NOT before I picked out the music we were to use.

I give you...that music:

And that's all I have for now, intrepid readers! If I come up with more, I might do another of these for my own amusement. For now, however, this is a pretty comprehensive list covering my favorite characters and games. 

I hope you enjoyed reading it and promise to work on bringing new material back to the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment