Tuesday, May 29, 2012

An Evening's Observations

I once read, rather recently actually, that "those who give the best advice are usually the ones with the most problems".

Now, I have to admit, in my case there seems to be a lot of truth to this. Don't worry, readers, this isn't another depressing rant, I swear! Just observational analysis of an evening's activities.

From here on in, I'll carefully not include the dates and names of people and locations to cover my tracks to avoid hurt feelings. This isn't meant to call anyone in particular out, or anything...just share my thoughts openly. Nothing more.

So I went to this gathering recently and I walk in a bit early and I find a sparse few friends there but the bulk of the people had yet to arrive. I make my way to a female friend that I had known for a few years, off and on. I engage her in conversation concerning a mutual friend and his behavior recently.

The behavior in question has become, in my opinion, very tiresome. I understand the guy is going through a lot of stuff, but the emotional roller coaster he seems to be on seems less like him trying to deal with his problems and more like trying to get attention. Again, this isn't what is actually happening...just my views on it. This individual constantly acts like a bipolar, depressed jackass and he wonders why he can't garner any female interest. I've tried, on a few occasions, to give him advice, since he's CLEARLY lacking in any common sense on how to conduct himself. However, each time I get blown off.

Such is life, I suppose.

I continue the evening as people begin to trickle in over the course of the next hour, hour-and-a-half. I say my usual hellos to everyone I know and have a few forced laughs. I say forced because I typically force myself to chuckle at such interactions for the sake of appearances.

No one likes to associate with a stone-faced jerk, y'know?

I listen to everyone discuss their current problems and wonder "What's the point?". I'm not saying this to be rude, but I honestly don't understand why people harp on and on about their issues like it's the most fascinating piece of news to arise in the past months. I have problems, too, but here is an example of how much I typically talk about them:

Some person - "Hey, Jason! How's life?"
Me - "Could be better, could be worse. Still looking for a job."
Some person - "Aw, that sucks!"
Me - *shrugs* "Yeah, I've applied all over, but that's life."

And that's it. No long rant. Maybe a bit more detailed info pertaining to where I applied recently, but that's it. Nothing else.

Do you intrepid readers know why I don't discuss my problems? Because it's fucking boring.

There was recently a Cracked article about shit everyone talks about and thinks people care about listening to, but actually don't. I only remember the entry into the article about babies, but I'm certain "long-winded rants about your problems" is on my personal list of the same topic.

I know this makes me sound heartless, but nobody likes hearing you go on for an hour about how the military screwed you, or how that motherfucking roommate trashed your stuff.

Anyway, the evening continues. I, as always, take an interest in new and attractive females that are around. Not creepy stalkerishness, of course, but if I'm presented with striking up a conversation with them, I do so. Fortunately, the opportunity presents itself for a couple of the ones I spot the group discusses faith and individual stances on it. Not much is derived from this beyond initial contact, but it's a start in possibly garnering new relationships and friendships.

I detach myself from that conversation and proceed to wander a bit, hopefully finding an opportunity to insert myself into another discussion. Such an opportunity doesn't present itself, but that happens.

After a time, I spot another friend who is with, I would guess, is her "boyfriend" or whatever you'd like to call it. Now, this brings up another fascinating point I'd like to discuss: the insistence of girls to date complete idiots.

This guy, by all appearances, seemed like an idiot. He was one of those typical white-ghetto thug types. He wore a sports cap turned to the side, a sports jersey, tattoos everywhere, listened to rap music, and talked like he had stopped furthering his education at the fifth grade level. I don't like to judge people based on what they wear or how they look...that's one of the lowest levels of despicable that I can think of. That's why I always keep my ears open to see how people conduct themselves, or actively engage them in conversation, to judge the type of person they are.

Suffice it to say, my initial judgements were right. The guy was a tool. And a moron.

I say this because the girl in question seems nice enough. I'm not certain of her level of intelligence, but I'd imagine it's higher than this guy's. The point I'm ultimately making is my lack of understanding on why a girl like her would date/be in a relationship/whatever with a guy like him.

And before the comments about me being jealous start getting slung around, I'll say this: I have no interest in this particular girl. Yes, she's attractive, but attractiveness alone does not make for sincere interest at least on my part. My observations are merely an academic curiosity about why women date certain guys when they clearly seem to be lacking in any kind of intelligence, sense of identity, sincerity, etc.

Ah, well. Then there was the "enjoyment" I derived from watching a really good friend of mine babysit someone he barely knew for a reason I'm not certain he fully understood because he was asked to by another friend and he did it to fit in. I'm actually happy that this particular friend of mine is making strides in being more outgoing and making new friends, but it's irritating to see him act like that because he wants to fit in. Which is ultimately all it is. That, and/or his dumb sense of chivalry.

Now, I believe in chivalry too. However, when you're stuck babysitting some crazy girl who has issues that run as deep as the Marianas Trench because you feel you have some dumb sense of obligation to do so, you're taking it too far. Opening doors? Fine. Pulling out chairs? Great. Coming to the aid of a lady if she's legitimately in trouble (i.e. physically hurt, being attacked, etc.)? Acceptable. Watching over someone you don't really know because some OTHER friend says that they need "protection" from some poorly defined thing? Dumb.

But I can see why he does it. I don't agree with him doing it, but can see why.

I tried lightly flirting with a few girls because, well, that's how I am. Strangely enough, it fell rather forced this time, so I quickly stopped doing it after a few minutes.

Eventually, the night wore on, I grew bored, people left one-by-one, and eventually I left too.

I returned to my home, sat down, and wrote this entry. I don't know if anyone is going to read this or not, but who the fuck cares? It's not like I post on here for anyone elses benefit.

EDIT: Apparently, certain individuals spoken of in this article have read it. Again, I must emphasize that these are my opinions and I apologize if it upsets you, but I will not take back what I have said. I have great respect and love for my friends and hate seeing them act certain ways because I can see how it looks externally. It looks stupid. And I would hate to look stupid to people watching me from the outside of whatever it is I'm doing (it's happened and still does happen to me). 

No comments:

Post a Comment