Monday, April 4, 2011

What is a line?: A followup on wards and tactical nuclear powers

So, we're back to lines.


Another session of Mikey's Amber game has come and gone since our first experimentation with our powers. We have since had more chances to try out certain ideas we've had. I, myself, have discovered several very important facts yet still have more puzzling questions.

I suppose the first of the two biggest facts I learned about my power is that when I was told that "lines" were the basis of my power, it really meant "wards". Wards, in the Amber games (and probably most other formats), are barriers of varying design that are created to block various things. In the Amber games, they're used to block physical action, mental, spiritual, perception, etc.



So! Knowing this now, I plan on attempting to integrate "ward" into my mental components to see if they work more effectively. In my brief experimentation last session, I was able to create a physical barrier to protect against harm. I was pleased with this, despite it being broken so easily.

We'll work on that.

The other important fact that I discovered is that I'm able to utilize my power as a "tactical nuclear strike" as we call it, meaning I can use it to cause massive amounts of devastation.


I do this by using my power on the Broken Pattern lines we see when we travel using the Broken Pattern. It was an accidental discovery as Pete wanted me to use those lines to bar the pursuing Amberites from following us. I didn't quite do the mental component properly, causing the lines to crack and schism, releasing the ridiculously large amounts of Chaos creatures on the worlds that the lines connect to.

Oops.

Essentially, I doomed/murdered about 30-40 billion people with that snafu. I felt bad, but appreciated knowing I had the ability for future use. Brand (mentioned earlier) was pleased with the result.

Though, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

However, now that I've learned these facts, I must proceed forward. Experimentation is key to discover if a line can be metaphorical and symbolic to use my power, or if it requires the line be a physical line or object that I'm calling a line. Can lines I not see also be utilized, like the "lines" on a brain? How can I use this power to its greatest effect?

So many questions and so little time to try. Maybe Mikey will be open to having lunch sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment