Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Facebook Games: The Addiction Grows

I never fancied myself a Facebook game player.


Most times I tried playing any Facebook games, I got bored quickly with some aspect or another and uninstalled them.

Well, that was then and this is now.

I've started playing various Facebook games for various reasons and am now thoroughly addicted to them to the point of obsessively checking them every few minutes to see if there's something new I can do or accomplish. It's getting to be rather terrible, honestly. I even bought some of those ridiculous Facebook Coins for one of the games.

Well, here, I'll be talking about them, the ones I play that is, in a bit of detail so that everyone knows what to avoid (or what's good, if you're a glutton for punishment).

Zombie Lane

Ah, Zombie Lane. I got started in this because I am currently, as you may have guessed from some earlier posts, working on an amateur zombie movie. Several of the people involved in the movie started playing this game, no doubt in honor of the movie, and kept sending me TONS OF INVITATIONS. I, as per normal, would reject most requests, but finally relented and added it.

What is the premise, you may ask? Well, it's essentially Farmville with zombies. You rebuild your house, plant crops, build fences, find your spouse and dog, and other such tasks, all the while fending off hordes of zombies.

I have to give this game credit for the sheer variety of...well...everything! There are ten different variety of zombies of varying strength, design, etc. There are at least 12+ different kinds of weapons available with different strengths. Achievements, item collections, crops, decorations, missions, etc. all have different flavors and whatnot.

Now, I say the missions are varied, and they are, but for the most part they boil down to "kill this many zombies", "do this many of a task", or "collect so many of an item". Those three vary on how it's accomplished, who (between yourself, your spouse, or your dog) is performing them, and where (your home or your neighbors' places) they're done.

For the most part, I like Zombie Lane immensely. Or maybe I'm just hopelessly addicted...

Alchemy
The above picture isn't the Facebook version of the game, but it'll do for the purposes of this article. The two (meaning the smart phone version and Facebook version) are essentially the same.

The premise is simple. You start with the four base elements, and start combining two things to get other things and then combine the new things with other things to get more things and so on. This continues until all combinations and items are discovered. 

The game itself is a bit glitchy, often acting up when you try to move some of the elements. Also, like any of the Alchemy games, the combinations can be a bit ridiculous to figure out. For example, I believe the combination I was scratching my head over was "Woman" which required "Human" plus..."Bird"? 

Sometimes I don't even know...

Dungeon Overlord
Dungeon Overlord is a new addition to my addiction to Facebook gaming. I added it at the insistence of my friends who say that it is "awesome". I figured...why the hell not?

The game was a bit complicated at the get-go, but the same friends that suggested it were also kind enough to walk me through the basics. You start off with a simple dungeon and build upon it to create a powerful force of goblins, orcs, warlocks, and possibly other creatures later on. 
Again, I'm new to it. 

It's part strategy, part simulation, and part adventure as you control the various aspects of the dungeon you build. You control food production, the mining of gold, iron, and crystal, arcane research...so many things. You have to decide what items are worthy purchases and balance your pools of resources accordingly to build your own dungeon!

It's pretty fun so far. 

 Bejewled Blitz
The original go-to in casual gaming. I added Bejewled on Facebook because I needed a distraction inbetween sessions of the other games (mostly to wait for energy/resources to accumulate before doing anything else). 

It's actually quite addicting once you get started with it! I found myself playing round after round trying to beat my personal best of 102k, which is NOT easy, let me tell you. There's also some silly leveling system to show others how many games of it of you've played, but it has no real bearing on gameplay as far as I can tell.

And that's about it so far! I've managed to keep my Facebook gaming to a minimum thankfully and hopefully I can stave off any more in the future. I don't think my time can be wasted anymore than it already is so...yeah.

Man...so addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment