Friday, November 26, 2010

Tabletop Tales: The On-Going Legend

I have to admit, it must be one of the indications that you're a good storyteller/character creator when others begin using your characters in their games as NPCs.

And I don't just mean a game that's based in the same world as your original character in which that campagin's events take place chronologically AFTER the events your character was part of. No...I'm talking about a completely different timeline, different world, and even a different game system altogether!


Let me explain.


One of my favorite (and in my opinion, one of my greatest) creations I ever made was a Dungeons and Dragons character named Pak-cha. I won't go into too much detail about what Pak-cha is, so I'll simply say he's a 7-foot-tall five armed praying mantis creature that's REALLY strong. I mean really REALLY strong. 


Anyway, I made this character for the D&D campaign I was playing, played it through, and retired the character from play at the campaign's end. After it was over, I thought nothing more of it than how awesome the character had been.


Then, Pak-cha appeared in the sequel to the campaign he was a character in as an NPC. Nothing major...he just showed up as a deus ex machina once or twice. Don't get me wrong...him being there gave me a lofty sense of pride, but it was a normal progression for him to be there.


But this is where it gets ridiculous....ridiculously AWESOME.


I had told many of my gaming buddies about Pak-cha and his many exploits (and his exploits are AMAZING btw). My friends found him to be pretty amazing as well, thanks to my expertly told narratives detailing his encounters and conflicts. Again, I thought nothing of me doing this. I just assumed it was one gamer sharing with other gamers his amazing creation.


It wasn't until a few months ago that my buddy called me up about a BESM (BESM is an anime/manga themed roleplaying game) campaign he was going to run and if he could use Pak-cha as a villain. I was taken aback by this but happily consented to the use of my creation.


Then, ANOTHER friend asked if he could us Pak-cha in his Exalted game! It was as if my character had taken on other parallel lives of its own, being reincarnated for further glory in other worlds and other scenarios. A testament and example to good character craftsmanship, Pak-cha continued to live on well after I had completed my playing of him.


I am so proud.


And furthermore, it seems Wizard of the Coast decided to take my idea and steal it for themselves. Don't believe me? Look here at some of their 4e material.


Pak'Cha? REALLY? You guys are thieving bastard.


The mechanics are obviously different, but that name was taken from me. I simply know it to be true. How do I know? I created Pak-cha long before 4e came out back in the days of 3.5. Wizards of the Coast can suck it.

EDIT: I also remember another buddy that used Pak-cha, again as a villain, in his D&D game. Man, my praying mantis gets around a lot :D

No comments:

Post a Comment